In order to apply for passport + verification of citizenship + registration of civil status (if necessary) at the consulate, you must appear in person. Please make an appointment in advance on the following page:

We kindly ask our dear clients - until further notice - to bring along one colored, passport sized 3,5 x 4,5 cm photo, which meets the ICAO specifications.


Proof of Hungarian citizenship can be provided with:

  • a valid passport
  • a valid identity card
  • a passport that has not expired for more than a year
  • a certificate of naturalization
  • or a citizenship certificate that is not older than three years

If you don’t have any of the above mentioned documents and your citizenship is also not emerges from the central register, a citizenship assessment procedure is required.

The verification of the citizenship is a legal obligation, not a decision of the consul.

To start the process, you must visit the consulate in person and present the following documents:  

  • completed form to prove citizenship

  • completed form for registration of birth in Hungary

  • completed form for registration of marriage in Hungary (if the applicant is married)

  • if an adult applicant does not have a valid identity card

Original birth certificate and an original marriage certificate, if necessary, with an authentic Hungarian translation, in the case of a divorce a final divorce decree, in the case of widows we need the death certificate of the previous spouse.

  • expired passport
  • original birth or death certificate of parents and marriage certificate (if the birth, marriage or death took place in Hungary, then a copy is sufficient)
  • if you can provide the following documents: birth or death certificate and marriage certificate of the grandparents


Renunciation of citizenship

Hungarians living abroad can renounce their Hungarian nationality.


The requirements:

  • Proof of another citizenship or at least the written assurance (notice), which must be valid for at least 6 months before the declaration of surrender
  • In addition, the deregistration must have taken place from the Hungarian register of migrants and a foreign registration address must be available


Required documents:

  • Renunciation application form (in Hungarian) Formular
  • Passport, identity card or certificate of naturalization as evidence of another nationality (at least a written assurance of citizenship)
  • Proof of Hungarian nationality (valid passport or identity card/ or expired within a year or a citizenship certificate not older than three years)
  • Birth certificate
  • Proof of marital status (marriage certificate, divorce decree, death certificate of the deceased spouse in the original)
  • Proof of departure from the Hungarian register of migrants (can be done at the same time as the declaration of disclaimer at the consulate)


Spouses and their minor children can submit a waiver declaration together. Personal appearance is mandatory from the age of 14. For minors, both parents must give their consent. The process takes about 6 to 8 months upon receipt the complete application. The State President decides about the acceptance of the renunciation.


The responsible authority in Hungary:

Budapest Főváros Kormányhivatala

Állampolgársági és Anyakönyvezési Főosztály

Honosítási és Állampolgárság Megállapítási Osztály

1056 Budapest, Váci u. 62-64.