To apply for a permanent private passport at the consulate, you must appear in person. Please make an appointment on the following page:
We kindly ask our dear Clients –until further notice-to bring along one color, passport sized 3,5 x 4,5 cm photo, which meets the ICAO specifications.
Please make an appointment for a passport application only, if your Hungarian nationality has been proven (you have a valid Hungarian identity card, a valid passport or a passport expired within a year, a naturalization certificate or a citizenship certificate issued in the last three years) AND you do not need any other services (notarization of a birth / marriage, name change).
If your name has been changed by marriage / divorce or because of a change of name process, and this has already been authenticated in Hungary, please bring along the Hungarian marriage certificate or the Hungarian divorce decree. If the divorce / marriage in Hungary has not been certified yet, please make an appointment fornRegistration of marriage/civil partnership and/or registration of divorce + passport (over 18 age). If the change of birth name has not been certified yet, please make an appointment for Change of name.
If no document can prove the Hungarian citizenship, a nationality check procedure /Passport + verification of citizenship + registration of civil status (if necessary)/ will be initiated. To prove your Hungarian nationality you must present a valid identity card, a valid passport or a passport that has not expired more than one year, a certificate of naturalization or a certificate of citizenship issued during the last three years.
It is the citizens' own responsibility to track the expiration date of the passport or ID card.
The following documents are required:
- To prove your Hungarian nationality: a valid identity card, a valid passport or a passport that has expired within a year, a certificate of naturalization or a citizenship certificate issued during the last three years
- Hungarian residence card (if available)
- Hungarian birth and marriage certificates (if available)
- When re-naturalized through simplified naturalization process: a valid identity card or passport for personal identification and the original naturalization certificate
- Replacing a lost or stolen passport: a police record
- For minors: a valid identity card or passport of both parents, as well as the Hungarian birth certificate of children. If one custodial parent is not able to attend, s/he must prove the exclusive right of legal representation, by a final court decision, a notarised written agreement of the parents, or a death certificate of non-applying parent.
Passports for children under the age of 12:
As the passports of Hungarian nationals under the age of 12 do not contain the fingerprints, children should not appear in person for the passport application. It is the responsibility of the parent to track the expiration date of the passport or ID card of the child. Please make sure that the personal documents are valid, as expired existing personal documents do not justify an urgent procedure or the issuing of a temporary travel document.
To apply for a passport for children under the age of 12, the following documents are required:
- The expired or soon to be expired passport of the child
- The child’s birth certificate (születési anyakönyvi kivonat)
- If one parent is the sole guardian, proof of sole custody (final judgment, official or notarized, written agreement of the parents, death certificate of the deceased parent, etc.) The parent, who has sole custody must appear in person. Please bring along a valid passport or ID card.
- If both parents exercise custody, both parents must appear in person (please bring along a valid passport or ID card of both parents), or you must obtain a consent from the absent parent to issue a travel document. The declaration of consent can be made in the diplomatic mission, in front of a notary, the guardianship authority or the passport authority (document office).
- 1 biometric passport photo in color. We kindly ask you to refrain from taking self-made photos, as these do not meet the specifications (an EU-compliant passport photo in size 3.5 x 4.5 cm).
- For children, for whom the first Hungarian passport is requested after a simplified naturalization procedure, the presentation of the identity card or passport according to the previous nationality is sufficient in conjunction with the certificate of naturalization.
- If the child's previous, unexpired passport has been stolen, the police record of the theft (if you fail to do so, higher administrative fees are to be paid).